Sunday, September 21, 2014

The End of Part I of the Semester

Once again, I’ve been slacking on the blog front.  My friends and I have been cramming as much as possible into the past two weeks so that we would see all of the major sites in Dijon before they left.  We’ve spent a lot of time at the more historical and educational sites of the city.  We’ve toured the majority of the Palace of the Dukes now.  We climbed to the top of the tower of Philip the Good, where we had an amazing view of the city, and explored the wing of the palace which has been converted into the Musee des Beaux Arts (roughly translates to Fine Arts Museum I believe?)  The museum was really cool.  It has all kinds of art, from ancient Egyptian pieces, to rooms displaying art from every period of France’s history, to modern art.  
There were severally pieces from notable artists such as Rude, Manet and Monet.  The museum also houses the Tombs of the Dukes in a room with some of the most exquisite detail I’ve ever seen.  We also visited the Jardin des Sciences, which are gorgeous gardens which also house several sculptures and art exhibits, a planetarium and a natural history museum.  The planetarium was closed, but we did a quick tour through the natural history museum.  To be honest, that wasn’t really all that interesting, just a lot of stuffed versions of different species of animals.  There was a huge market going on in the city center last Saturday.  Naturally, with four girls, we spent a lot more money there than we should have.  They did have some of the best deals I’ve seen since I got to this city though.  I’m going to have to find out if that market was a one-time occurrence or if it is something that happens regularly here.  
We found out that the ice skating rink has really cheap skating and rentals on Sunday mornings, so we took advantage of that this past weekend.  It was a lot of fun (particularly watching Katie use the penguins meant to help the children skate in order to get around the ice) and I think that I’m probably going to make that a regular thing this semester.  During the week it got kind of rainy, so we spent most of our time either at cafes enjoying the local delicacies, or in the basement of the residence watching movies.  We watched one French movie called Les Intouchables (The Intouchables if you’re looking for the English version) which I would highly recommend – it was about a man who started working for a guy in a wheelchair and became friends with him, and it was absolutely fantastic.  The last of my Anglophone friends left this Saturday I’m afraid, so I’m alone at the residence now.  I'm really going to miss those girls, we all became great friends in the past month.  Hopefully we'll all be able to visit each other sometime in the future.  We did have a really good semester, with lots of interesting debates in our classes, and we learned a lot.  It’s going to be interesting trying to find things to do now though, considering the next semester doesn’t start until October 6th.  I’m sure I’ll figure something out, and I’ll try to do a better job of keeping you guys up to date in the future!
                      ^ Lucy, Mareike, Helena and Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment